BMW Motorcycle Club Namibia

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BMW Motorcycle Club Namibia

General forum for BMW Motorcycle Club Namibia

4 posters

Mould growth under 1200GS front cover

sfkenny
    sfkenny
    BMW Club Member

Mould growth under 1200GS front cover Empty Mould growth under 1200GS front cover

Post by sfkenny Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:35 am

Just wonder if this also happened to someone esle!! Cleaned my bike the other day (1200GS) and noticed "white spots" creeping from underneath the black cover just behind the frontwheel...see pic1...Mould growth under 1200GS front cover P1040210

.....took the cover off and on the inside of the cover is a sort of "spunge" which was completely wet...pic 2
    Mould growth under 1200GS front cover P1040211

Now take a look what the result was due to this wet spunge...pic 3. Will have to visit Dieter this week.
    Mould growth under 1200GS front cover P1040212
    wimpie
    wimpie
    BMW Club Member

Mould growth under 1200GS front cover Empty Re: Mould growth under 1200GS front cover

Post by wimpie Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 am

Eish, it is all those watercrossing and wet cow dung. Nou groei daai goed! I had mushrooms in my bakkie once.
    Richard Laborn
    BMW Club Member

Mould growth under 1200GS front cover Empty Re: Mould growth under 1200GS front cover

Post by Richard Laborn Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 am

The growth happens because your bike doesn't have enough shaking and vibration - there's none of that on the front riding bikes. backontrack
    HaraldP
    HaraldP
    BMW Club Chairman

Post by HaraldP Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Yesslaik Stephen. I missed out on this post of yours ( see my remark under coming trips )... This looks terrible. Other people have this under their feet ! I told you not to wash your bike that frequently. It's not conducive to the overall condition of a bike designed in a semi arid dried out country, like Germany. In Namibia you must keep your bike dry. Check your riders manual ! Keep us informed what the diagnostic experts say about this and hope the matter can be resolved quickly. rgds HP
    sfkenny
    sfkenny
    BMW Club Member

Post by sfkenny Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:41 am

Dieter informed me that he made enquiries about the problem and was advised that it will not be advisable to respray the tappet cover as this will only be a temp solution. They have to order and put on a new tappet cover, o- ring etc. and have already ordered from SA. A possible solution to the problem is to ride some distance after cleaning of the bike to ensure that the "spunge" on the inside gets dried out with the heat of the engine...

Let me take a "break" this coming weekend. Sleep
    Richard Laborn
    BMW Club Member

Post by Richard Laborn Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:05 am

Stephy!
    David and I will help you on a ride to get some heat into the engine - it will be a short ride - just about 10 minutes, as long as you follow us!!!!!!! bounce I think Jacques and Peter are also willing to assist.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am